Pages

11 September 2023

auld nick

 way back in the bygone         when  I first came of age      auld nick himself appeared to me    and this is what he said;

“son, you’re a natural man,  but you ain’t the only one      show the world its shame     do it for humanity     do it for your mum      just don’t use my name      they’ve been bitchin’ about the world they made     and  they think that I’m to blame     for their mistakes”

people say I’m bad      or at the very least mad    I don’t care what people say      I’m gonna tell them anyway     we are all of us devils       we made this world a hell       this life is meant for loving     and the auld nick might make us dance     but he cannot make us love…

they say pride is the first sin      but pride is all some folk have      and if this is truly hell     surely auld nick knows the way out     come to him at your leisure     or simply wait for him here       for god alone loves us       but auld nick attends       as if he were a friend

I asked nick what time it was      he answered “how much do you want?”   he promised  he’d give me all there is         if I could look him in the eye      and tell him that I’m innocent     I’ve never seen my father’s face      but I suffer auld nick’s every day       if I could only feel my fathers grace      surely auld nick would go away

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment