Pages

8 September 2023

eternal night

the terrible sun      remorseless and bright     burns our parchment skin     and drinks our rivers dry      gonna be another scorcher      gimme a slug of your bug juice     help me close my mind    I eschew the day      renounce the light      to seek the company of strangers      in the dead of night  

I was not born to darkness     I just gravitated towards it    a moth to an invisible flame    night cradles me in its arms     just as it cloaks the trembling stars      night will not surrender me    and I am glad of it     I love the silent hours      and savour my isolation         it’s as close as I get to being free

these are the days of mass migration       proxy wars     and famine     I’m a hidden being        obscured by darkness      but we must shine like those fading stars      for whatever time is left us      before the total eclipse of all humankind          and the tender blessings of eternal night

No comments:

Post a Comment