Pages

4 August 2020

Dagger (Surgical Edit)




















There is no gelt
In this writing lark
No final reward
Just a hunger
An insatiable need
To press the keys
And play the notes
That fill the page


Typing done
I am alone
I work best alone
But I sleep best
With company
And it’s meant
To be that way

No virtual life for me
I love flesh and blood
For I was born
Of flesh and blood
To go the way
That all flesh does
Not prematurely
But after a long while

When I’ve perfected
My papers
And catalogued
My women
In alphabetical order
Or numerical significance
According to rank
And ability

All writing is futile
I can’t express how I feel
Not in so many words
I’d like to take my pain
Roll it into a ball
And stuff it in your mouth
So you’d be mute like me
Your seams leaking
Blotting your copy book
With a silent crimson scream

My credentials are impeccable
At least on paper, if not in the flesh
Your papers were forged
But I don’t mind
You brought me more pleasure
Than a thousand dead poets

“The only good poet is a dead poet.”

Isn’t that what you said?
Imposters pout and posture
Across the page
With borrowed icons
And stolen voices

Genius lays face down in the gutter
Death is the final measure
Of its dedication to the craft
But not for me darlin’
I want to be adored, at least once
However briefly
And in this life, not the next

Long ago
I abandoned rhyme
As I abandoned reason
I like my words jagged
As crocodile teeth
Dirty as a whore’s tongue
And rabid as the breath
Of infected dogs

I don’t require prettifying
Or disinfecting
Keep those nice words
For old ladies
To sprinkle on their cakes
I want you to feel me
In you

I have no time
For ambiguity
Or tickling ears
I want to ram my words
Right down your throat
One day I’ll find the beat
That forces the rhythm
Of my concoction
Into your heart
Like a fucking dagger


No comments:

Post a Comment