Pages

7 October 2024

bonfire

 you keep heaping up grievances       don’t you love me no more?      I try not to be offended     there’s no point to it      no one pulls my strings      I already cut them     I didn’t ask to be you       and I won’t dance to that tune      the sun speaks my name     I don’t need love letters       I feel her warmth when I touch the sky      but I don’t feel yours        not in the flesh     where it counts    your love is dead     from unnatural causes      you squeezed your stones until they bled        and made your compact        with some ordinary devil      he bought your lunch    so you feel like you owe him     but I wasn’t there     and I’m not bound       by promises you can’t keep        heavenly tides     turn and return      morning through to night       the seasons tread those waters      and so do I      it’s our autumn now     you can gather my leaves      and make a nice bonfire        you won’t see me again       but you can keep my memorial ashes      if you so desire

No comments:

Post a Comment