Pages

29 August 2017

Confessional

5751bae1a280c.image
I’m coming clean
cause it’s good for my soul
I stole them words from a cracker box
I’m leaving town on a bus later on
a circuitous route through the badlands
throw any blood hounds off my trail
I never liked it here anyway, it’s a shithole
the folk round here never took to me
some people say that I’m vain
but I never claimed to be perfect
I like myself if that’s what they mean
when it comes to me I’m biased
some distrust me cause I have no soul
but when push comes to shove I’m honest
don’t you go thinking I’m running away
it’s just that I’m allergic to lynch mobs
and when they find out just what I did
they’ll come to an early consensus
that I am no longer meant for this world
but loving someone was never a crime
whatever the difference in status
just to be sure that you understand
it wasn’t the act, but the feelings
I left her in tears, but its better this way
a life on the lam is no life at all
when you’re young and receiving a baby
.

2 comments:

  1. "...and receiving a baby" - Talk about adding weight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's a strange turn of phrase Martin - but having used it and trying all the more obvious terms I just had to keep it. I'm reminded of victorian ladies who received visitors in the drawing room.

    ReplyDelete