Pages

10 January 2011

Birdcage

birdcage

I'm going mad I tell you!!! Tiny shiny metal bats with wings as sharp as razor blades clang against the bars of my cage and spiral off - down into the gloomy infinite - what the fuck is down there anyway! Tang! shliiizz - there goes another one. They echo locate as they crash straight into my gilded dome. They'd slice me up if they could get in - but I won't let 'em. I got the only key you see. So here I coop on this little stoop - too chicken shit to venture out into the bat infested climes of the infinite what? 

I was lured in here by small game hunters who laid a trail of opiated millet - by the time I realised it was a fucking trap - I was too stoned to care. They must have shrunk me to get me into a cage this size - coz I felt pretty big on the outside, but now I feel small on the inside. The day I moved in they gave me a little golden key and said; "Here Joey, this is yours - this here's a zoo and the keeper is you." 

I was fucking furious let me tell you, "What the fuck does this mean?" I asked - as I hurriedly locked the door. "You mean I'm a fucking prisoner here?" One of them replied, "Not at all." Shit head - I said, "What does that mean?" He said, "What does what mean?" I was getting mighty pissed by now, "What does THAT mean." - "What does what does THAT mean?" he answers. "Are you pullin' my fucking chain?" I yelled. "No reply," was the answer. I don't mean 'no reply' was the answer, I mean "No reply" was the answer. He actually said "No reply" - what does THAT mean? I'm getting out of here one day - soon as I figure out where I am, or were out there is, ‘cause I know where I am - I'm in here, wherever that is. I guess I'm headed out there, wherever that is, as soon as I figure out where that is, that is.


4 comments:

  1. great intense piece, the theme of which reminds me of two little things of mine - one, "the rat and the trap" [9/6/10] - and "little bird little bird" [8/16/09] - i have always found it to be true that we are, each of us, caged in prisons of our own making, with the key in our own hand, as you say, if we only dare use it -

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Gypsywoman. Great minds, eh?. It’s a theme I visited before in a poem called Rat Trap back in June 2010. This time I’ve come at it from another angle - although I really didn’t know what I was writing about when I started. I always had a soft spot for budgies though. My granny had a budgie called Joey and she used to put a little whiskey in his dish sometimes. One morning she found him face down in that dish - an all too common tale of alcohol abuse in Scotland. I attempted an intervention once, but Granny was Joey's enabler and I was scared of her. Still AAA might have saved his life - that's Avian Alcoholics Anonymous you know. AAU - Avian Alcoholics Unanimous really don't give a damn and are a real hazard to air traffic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've seen the trap...you know it's there. And you want to break out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Robert, it is cramped in here - but it's pretty dark out there...

    ReplyDelete