Pages

22 September 2022

ghosts

 I’m sickening again       I’ve been infected      I have ghosts in my blood        you best roll me a stony      make it a hard one    I got the fear something chronic         but I’ll keep on going        I’m bound to get lucky       I’m prepared to die trying      this world can make you        this world can break you    but there’s no coin in self pity     and there’s no solace in tears        

 

I don’t believe in resurrections        or in tearful reconciliations         the past is gone forever       ghosts take shape in its shade        my head is haunted with that fearful geometry        and the friends undone by time and tide          I’m a single link in the chain forever broken        my heart has formed a compact       between the living and the dead 

 

ghosts come to me     through my own reflection         ghosts come to me    in the wake of my dreams         ghosts come to me     with untimely reminders       this life is hard          and shorter than it seems        so take your best shot        and maybe another       you might win some      but you’ll likely lose more         this life pays out        with diminishing returns      no-one passes this way        with bridges left unburned

 

No comments:

Post a Comment