Pages

12 April 2014

Little White Lies

mouse

once I had two lovers

I know what you’re thinking

you’re either thinking lucky dog

or filthy rat

I think the latter is more accurate

I was definitely some form of rodent

nervous and fearful of discovery

scurrying through the dark

from house to house

and back again

.

both girls new about the other

but it was still an emotional minefield

so I used to lie to them

little white lies to smooth the way

little white lies to spare their feelings

I’d make up stories about my day

never mentioning one to the other

I’d tell stories about where I’d been

and what I’d done there

.

I had deceit down to a fine art

it got easier to lie as time went by

until it was second nature to me

that’s the thing about lies

they breed like rabbits

one lie begat another

until I was swimming in an ocean

of those little white lies

.

when I took all those lies

those little white lies

and put them all together

they made up one big black lie

my whole life had become a lie

it was hard to keep up with them

and they were discovered

one by one

in the end I lost both girls

because I was such a liar

and liars seldom prosper

.

5 comments:

  1. Peaceful Flower14 April 2014 at 17:51

    Excellent writing, I greatly enjoy reading your work!! This is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra I'm glad you enjoyed

      Delete
  2. Praveen Parasar14 April 2014 at 17:56

    "it got easier to lie as time went by" this is the peak...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda Archetype Accalia14 April 2014 at 18:11

    One of your best pieces of writing.

    ReplyDelete