16 October 2016

Every Now And Then

Bomb_03

 

they commandeered

my zap, my zeal, my mojo

they said it was

in the national interest

here come the smiles

I have no soul

no zeal, no mojo

I’m lying

through my plastic teeth

but lies are common currency 

in a world that’s lost its mind

 

all over the planet

pre-packaged death

coca cola

percodan 

ibuprofen

cyanide

botulism

pesticides

chlorine gas

and 

barrel bombs

annihilate

the innocent

and unsuspecting

 

I’ve been doing the sums

in my head

bombs

poison gas

missiles

refugees

orphans

it does not add up

the fact is

there is little left to fight for

there is so little left behind

 

the canal has turned a greeny brown

alluring though that is

I cannot swim

but I wasn’t thinking about swimming

so much as drowning

I’m wearing my dead father’s overcoat

Its bulk would drag me down

down into the gloomy depths

my problems then dissolved

suicide

would be ruining the work of god

but who is to say

god doesn’t turn a blind eye

every now and then

 

universal betrayal

has swamped the earth

lines of poetry

create little ripples

that are scouring

the whole world over

searching for a voice

.

2 comments:

  1. very powerful. You're right about the voice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martin - very much appreciated

      Delete