6 April 2014

Shug

Granada

Shug was a wise guy

Always ready with a joke

And a wry comment

Everybody knew Shug

He was face

In the boondocks

A local hero

Shug had a junk habit

He sorted me out once

When my head was bad

I floated home an angel

On flimsy velvet wings

.

One day Shug came to me

To ask if he could

Take the hose

From an old vacuum cleaner

That I’d discarded

I said “sure – help yourself”

I didn’t ask why he wanted it

He was found the next day

Dead in his car

He’d used the hose

To pump in the exhaust fumes

That took his life

.

No-one knew why

He’d left no note

The car was parked

On his mothers drive

For several months

I used to pass it every day

I’d think about Shug

And how his mother

Must have felt

Looking at that morbid reminder

Day after day

.

2 comments:

  1. Sad and haunting...as it gets...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Praveen - it is a sad story and one that seems incomplete as Shug left no letter...

      Delete