14 March 2013

Prisoner

Prisoner_02

There are creatures

Lurking in my sleep

I know them by name

They are old friends

.

There are visions

Beneath my blankets

Ghosts

Crowd my imagination

Bad omens

Faint hopes

Carving deep tracks

Through my psyche

.

The syntax

Of the absurd

Cantilevers

Buttresses

Impossible structures

Tilt incredibly

.

This ground is soaked

With innocent blood

Babies wailing

Stray dogs howling

Semaphored black lungs

.

You must stand - it’s the law

Poor boy

He knew the jury

No chance of acquittal

He’ll serve his time

With no reprieve

No parole

In this prison

Of his own making

.

4 comments:

  1. I had chills down my spine. It is how I experience the society I come from. There is enigmatic force in this piece

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lolita- your comments are, as ever, most welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin Renee Rodway16 March 2013 at 09:56

    Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete