10 September 2012

Shark Face

shark-face

I made of myself an alter

To my ego

I was just pretending

To be someone I wasn’t

For safety’s sake:

Self assured

Larger than life

With a shiny bright mojo

And the ring of confidence

In my crooked smile

I turned my dolphin

Into a shark

.

That’s it – no more

No more the hunter home from the kill

The sailor home from the sea

Foggy monsters

Draw idiot patterns on frosted lawns

This was the winter

Here’s what it meant...

.

Get a face load of shattered mirror

That always cracks me up

The tools of my trade

A fistful of diazepam

And a throat full of murders

Queer side effects

Like roasting headaches

And generous gestures

Inflated beyond reason

.

Coast to coast

My shore to yours

Separated by an ocean

Brimming with imagination

Divided by vast reefs

Peppered with shark towns

Where the big fish dine alfresco

And the little fish pray

To the great fish god

That they might know their place

And be spared

The savagery of self knowledge

.

2 comments:

  1. Ovations! I have witnessed magnificence. This is literature

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dearest Lolita - your approbation warms my heart.

    ReplyDelete